Tuesday 6 November 2012

A week into Langkawi

It is almost a full week now since I started this new position in Langkawi.

It feels good.

My colleague who picked me up at the office is a great conversationalist. Looks very young too despite being in his forties. And he has a healthy obsession for Samsung Galaxy Note, like me. So it was a wonderful start to my working life here.

Finding lodging is somewhat of a challenge, I had to room at a motel, which very quickly ate into my life funds. Thankfully, thanks to some well meaning friends, I have finally acquired a room in this place between Kuah Town & Bayas. Alas, this room is somewhat a distance from the main road and thus exacerbating the weak 3G signal coverage.

I am internet-less at home. Gahhh! Thankfully, work has WiFi and coverage on my own device hovers around 3 Mbps in Cenang. So all is not lost.

I aim to acquire a proper domicile by the start of December in an area with better 3G reception. Until then, it would be just a matter of coping.


Peculiar things about Langkawi:

1) People here like to smile a lot. Everyone here seems to be entertaining some funny thought and walk around with this amused expression on their faces.

2) Tom yam stalls here serve good food albeit a tad heavy on the seasoning (as if the salty tang of the air has somewhat impaired their ability to actually taste salt!) and so the cooks overcompensate.

3) One cannot get lost here!

4) Spectacular views abound.



5) The weather can play a cruel trick, like "ooh, sunny views of the beaches,lets snap a few pics", then it rains!

6) No one drives above 70Km/h here, speed limit notwithstanding, locals drive at a very leisurely average of 45Km/h. Drives city boys like me crazy!

7) Everyone seems to be  an 'Anak menakan' (relative) of someone.

8) Pet stores here actually carry Hedgehogs! Albino ones too, and Ferrets!!

9) There are only 3 McDonald's here (and 1 isn't even open until December). And only 2 KFCs! Gaahhh!

10) There's a bazillion shops selling Household & Kitchenware. Ridiculous!

2 comments:

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Uncle Razee,
Would you believe that back in the '90s my Mama actually shopped for household and kitchenwares in Langkawi? Lugging them on the ferry!!! Hope you'll find a proper home soon. purrr....meow!

Razee Salleh said...

Heya Formerly-Sydneysider-Kitty,

Amen to that. Must be a M'sian mom thing. My mom did exactly the same thing!

I have found a temporary abode here, a room with attached bath. It is comfortable and clean and most importantly I have lotsa neighbours (i dont really mind some noise).