Sunday 11 November 2012

Out & About: Simple Eats in Kg Sungai Menghulu.

Chanced upon this nameless Tom Yam stall barely 200 meters away from my rental. Simple and humble to the point of being decidedly Meh, but the results of what I ordered for dinner really surprised me.

Simple dish of Tom Yam Fried Rice and Vegetable Soup came out super. It could have been the combination of hunger and cold weather influencing me but both dishes were really good.

First off the rice portion was like ENORMOUS! Then, it was very richly flavored, packed with the spicy, sweet, sour and herby flavours one would expect a Tom Yam to carry. Each grain of the rice was coated in this delicious mix and wok fried. Some recklessly thrown in firecracker bird's eye chillies also added zing!

Nasi Goreng Tom Yam (that is not the full portion, had tucked into it before realizing I haven't taken a pic) and Sup Sayur.

The Vegetable soup was something off the scale altogether. All my life, I would have invariably be served a mix of 2 or 3 vegetables overcooked in bland stock. This one had carrot sticks, chopped chinese kale, fresh young corn, onion slices, cauliflower florets, cabbage ribbons, tomato chunks, slivers of sliced chicken boiled in the deepest yet clearest oxtail broth (it is vegetable soup, not Vegetarian soup after all). All this was then topped with a poached egg!! Egg, in a soup?

Imagine tucking into a spoonful of garlic infused beefy goodness, imbued with the natural sweetness and lightness of the vegetables, gently held together with the familiarity of chicken and that wonderful aroma of eggs. Ahhhhhh Joy!

It is really really good, and coming from such a seemingly boring place, it was a complete surprise for me.
And I have been having the same soup for dinner for 5 days straight. That is how good it is!

2 comments:

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Uncle Razee,
This is terrible. I'm a cat but you made me crave for that vege soup. It looks delish! purrrr...meow!

Razee Salleh said...

Hehe! It really is delish. I do love vegetables but I have never had a TomYam stall version quite like this. It is a tad oilier (because of the fried egg)but oh so good and satisfying.

Raz