Monday 26 November 2012

Langkawi Chronicles: Stray Overload

A total of 27 days now I have been in Langkawi. Much is yet to be seen and experienced of course. But I am drawn towards a serious problem in Langkawi - stray animals.

Langkawi it seems has a situation with regards to cats and dogs. They are just everywhere. I find myself finding animals everywhere I go. And for many of those cases, the animals don't look too healthy.

Rail thin kittens, flea bitten dogs, mangy toms abound almost anywhere human habitation or business exist.

I have visited the volunteer run animal sanctuary Langkawi LASSie here near Pantai Cenang, they can be found here http://bit.ly/KKAXep, and they are doing their damnedest best to control the ever increasing population growth. I see many cats and dogs, carrying the signature LASSie treatment mark, which to me at least, suggest that some battles are still being valiantly fought despite the odds.

I am not too sure how long the good guys there can keep it up but bless their kind hearts and willing bodies to take up such an undertaking.

Honestly, I don't understand why some people can keep pets and then when the habit becomes inconvenient, say for instance, they got to move elsewhere, the pet falls ill, the cuteness wears off, the animal grows old and requires incrementally greater care, or others, t he very same people who swears a while ago that they love their pets can blithely abandon their animals.

Frequently I find, to my horror, updates on the FB page of LASSie of some found, abandoned or neglected animal. It breaks my heart.

I am not in a position now to offer more help, but I soon hope to be able to. In the meantime, spare them some care and thought and much needed love and help out any which way you can - Cash, Kind, Support, Words of Encouragement or Helping to spread the word around. 
There is something everyone can do to help!
Please consider helping out! Tigger and Munchkin and many more of their brethren need our continued love!

Doe-eyed Tigger!

Me Mini Munchkin!

5 comments:

BlackDragonButterfly said...

Its everywhere actually not only in LGK. & everytime i saw lil kitten meow for mommy my heart cry deeply.. i cant afford to help out all stray cats & dogs but d least i can do i feed them whenever they came to me.

Razee Salleh said...

true true! just like you, i too have a small pack of cat food in my car! :)

Razee Salleh said...

ehhh, you blogging semula? cun! mesti bosan tahap dewa dalam pantang ni kan!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Uncle Razee,
Some of us in this household were strays....I can bet you my Mama's heart will break is she sees all those you described, be they woofies or kitties. I hope you'd consider adopting soon. purrrr...meow!

Razee Salleh said...

Heya Ange,

I actually secretly pining for Munchkin featured above. I have a natural weakness for Tortie & Whites.

Had one yonks ago and I loved her plenty. Not been able to love a kitty as much I did her since she passed.

If it is my rezeki, Munchkin might just choose me!