Saturday 23 January 2010

Hospital Visit

Woke up fairly early today (if one considers 10.30 AM on a Saturday early that is) as I decided late night yesterday to visit a colleague in a hospital. Apparently a few weeks ago, she went to her Gynae to have a check up on the nagging pain she has been experiencing for the past few weeks.

After a battery of tests, she was advised to for a minor surgery (Laparoscopy, I assume it is a minor surgery), on account of it requiring only a 'keyhole' type of incision. As it turns out, it was a tad worse and so it needed a more aggressive treatment, albeit still via the keyhole. Thanks to the grace of God and her good Gynae, what ever it was that needed doing was done. And now she has a DVD recording of all the gory bits being taken care of!

Walked in her ward and found her already up and about to tuck into lunch. She looked well enough, despite the discomfort she must be feeling (This woman was made of Stern stuff, so she was handling it well). Gave her some 'Buah Tangan' that I foraged at a nearby 7Eleven. Chocolate wafers were what I got for her, although I am sure her doctor would probably give me the Evil-eye for doing so.

That got me thinking, what would be considered an appropriate gift for people stuck in hospitals? I mean. seriously, flowers are for the dead (which in a way is still tragically self defeating considering the dead cant see them gorgeous buds you bought), or fruits (some of which the recipient may not actually enjoy), home cooked meal (which may cause upsets or worse, may not be eaten due to Malaysian's tendencies to 'Pantang' and all that), toiletries (may not be hypoallergenic), blankets (as if the Hospital thermals arent already great).

In the end, I surmised she may enjoy some of Chocolate wafers she often buys and shares with us at work. At least, I know she will enjoy them sooner or later.

We then proceeded to chat as usual, about the comings and goings of other people around us, as well as her long wait for the surgery. Oringinally planned to happen at 11 AM carried on all the way to almost 5 PM, which was nuts. But she was most forgiving and didnt bitch at all about the delay (in retrospect, I, would be all raised hackles and spittings!).

After a bit, I decided, it was my time to push off, so she could rest while waiting for the arrival of her Beau in a few moments. Rest and recuperate well friend.

3 comments:

ariemima said...

betcha remember me still kak eni, but I pray for ur well being...pls get well very soon!

oppss n ya..dis is another nice feed to some sort of READ-acholic me! huhu will link ur baby blog to mine -__-

xoxo timsj

Razee Salleh said...

Hiya Mima,

Thanks for visiting.

Mohd Nadzrin Wahab said...

Salam Gee,

As a veteran of hospitals and bed-waiting myself, I recommend a magazine or a comic book or a novel. Hospitals are bloody boring, unless there are young nurses to look at. And even then, they're so inexperienced, you scream everytime they try to set you up for an IV line. Love hate relationship.

Salam persilatan,