Friday 29 January 2010

Driving & The Average Malaysian

This morning I woke up with more purpose than usual, having secured an appointment to service my Persona at the Proton Platinum Service Center, to have the faulty Thermostat finally replaced.

 Woke up early today, despite being on leave, so that I wouldn't miss my time slot at 8 o'clock. Left home at approximately 7.15 and as dumb luck would have it, got stuck in traffic. The journey should only take in the region of 25 minutes from where I live, but today, I arrived at 8.45, almost a  whole hour later than intended. Of course I should have taken into consideration the office bound crush, but oh well...

Anyways, the delay was acceptable I guess, on account on my own buffoonery, but let me tell you, the ways Malaysians drive is worth blogging about. No, we are not a respectable and law abiding gaggle of drivers, we metamorphose into something else altogether. Somehow, immediately behind the wheel, our inner beasts are unleashed.

Good God! There are slow drivers, fast drivers, hard drivers, aggressive drivers and the median types - comfortable between slow and fast. But what is wrong with us that we forget all modicum of budi bahasa and kindness and just look out for number one when we drive. Lane Changers, Queue Jumpers, Red Light Gunners, yeesh, and to me the most abhorrent of em all, those Let's-Ignore-Using-The-Turn-Signal-Lighters. To me these typify the worse in all us Malaysians, where we automatically abandon our usual timidity and 'Asian' values (does it even has any meaning anymore this day and age?) blatantly disregard the simple 'Excuse me' request by using the signal lights? Men, Women, Young, Old, Malays, Indians, Chinese, it really all goes out the window.
Nah lu!
So, why does it cause an uproar every time a foreign publication or announcement declares we Malaysians are a horrid bunch of drivers? Come on, accept it already. And let us try, taking baby steps, to reduce queue jumping, lane switching, signal forgetting, etc.. etc.. ad nauseam and strive to be a little courteous on the road. After all Malaysia Boleh what?

1 comment:

Mohd Nadzrin Wahab said...

Salam Gee,

I agree. I've had my fair share of idiots. But what scares me the most, is those days when I'm forced to be one of them, as I rush for something that's important only to me. I now fight the urge to use the emergency lane unless it's a real emergency, and try my best to put my hand up out the window to apologise. Hopefully, everyone will understand.

Salam persilatan,