Friday 5 July 2013

Langkawi Chronicles: Smart-device Hunting

My G-Note is still dead, no thanks to Grace One Telecommunication (read it here: http://razeesalleh.blogspot.com/2013/07/rant-alert-grace-one-telecommunication.html). Which forces me to analyze and accept the fact that I need to have my phone contacts and data with me all the time. Some would argue that this is actually (inter)Net Addiction.

I however, love the fact that I can easily access any type of information that I require in mere seconds. I find the convenience really appealing, especially for my line of work as it allows me the ability to react to my guest's needs for information speedily. Sure, some information should already memorised - emergency procedures, resort facility and equipment how tos, places of interest, contact details, etc..

I got around on Facebook asking my friends what I should do to alleviate my deprivation. A simple voting request of sorts with a few key facts - a) I need a smart device for calls, email, Internet & 3G data, and, b) Max budget to purchase new device capped at RM800.

Okay friends, need your opinion. You know the sitch on my smartphonelessness. The adventure continues. Should I:

1) Attempt to repair my Galaxy Note.
2) Fuck repairing it. Get a new device.
3) Shaddap and save Money. Live with the dumb ass Nokia and usb Broadband stick
until Note 3 is unveiled

Thanks.
The response has been quite good thus far. With many of them really understanding my own motivations and situation. Many sent in their votes and option 2: Get a new device seems to be leading. 

I have a few gadgets and accessories I am eyeing that fits within my budget.

Current Fave: 7" IPS Screen, 3G Data, Telephony Capabilities,
Low power consumption chip, Expandable storage,
Bluetooth capable, ASUS floating window Apps.

Recommended by a friend: Cheaper than Asus Fonepad, All the Android Bells & Whistles, effectively a Sammie G-Note clone. Cool!
Back to square one. This is indeed a Samsung Powerhouse.
All rounder capability @Dual Core, Super AMOLED screen, 5.3" Screen,
Note capabilities. Endlessly root-able :)
The best phone I ever had - great package all in one!
 
 
A departure from Android (I am a Fandroid), but quite intriguing as I love the Windows Tile and how it works.
Low power consumption and minimal RAM resource needed. It is a bit over my budget though. Sigh.

And of course the multitudes of accessories I may need - Bluetooth Keyboard (only if I do get the Fonepad, so I can do remote typing), Cases (well, you would want to protect a new device yes?), Screen Protector (de rigeur I think) and perhaps a Bluetooth headset for pairing for taking and making calls (which I already have, Samsung HM1200). 

The voting tally roughly slants towards getting a new device so lets see what the final results will be. The old phone I may still send for repairs to be used as a secondary device. 

No comments: