Wednesday 25 August 2010

I'd Do It All Again By Corinne Bailey Rae

I can't tell you just how many times I have watched this clip. I find her beauty captivating, her voice beguiling and her moves comforting. Then there is also the matter of her lyrics, which constantly reveal new things about her.



Oh, you're searching for something I know, wont make you happy
Oh, you're thirsting for something I know, wont make you happy
Oh, you did it all again, you broke another skein
Its hard to believe this time, hard to believe
That my heart, my heart's an open door...

You got all you came for, baby
So weary, someone to love is bigger than your pride's worth
It's bigger than the pain you got for it hurts
And out runs all of the sadness
It's terrifying, life, through the darkness
And I'd do it all again, I'd do it all again
I'd do it all again, I'd do it all again
You try sometimes but it won't stop
You got my heart and my head's lost, ohhh 
I've been burning down these candles for love, for love

So weary, someone to love is bigger than your pride
Ooh, someone to love, mm, someone to love
Someone to love
Ooh, you're searching for something I know, won't make you happy
Ohh..

I am not too sure what actually inspired this song, but it could be the fact that her husband died shortly after the launch of her first album, due to an accidental drug overdose. So, I imagine this song may be about her resolve, on how despite her terrible loss, she wouldn't have had it any other way. The repeating nature of the video clip suggests to me the weight of her burden, on how she struggles daily with it. And the part where she is in the street playing in traffic suggest her precariously sensitive heart and at the same instance signifies her continuing love for him.

Says volumes about her characters, me thinks.


4 comments:

Ellen Whyte said...

You're a romantic!

Razee Salleh said...

Moi romantique? No lah, just a little more in touch with the realities of the fairer sex's heart.

Anonymous said...

I love this song, Corinne has a beautiful way of conveying her emotions so naturally and with pure sophistication. Have you heard of Kelly Erez? She's working with one of Corinne's co-writers (Steve Bush)and in my opinion is also really special, with a warmth coming through in her presence. I think they would sound really good together. This site is lovely :-)

Emma x

Razee Salleh said...

Heya Emma,

Thanks for the tip, and for dropping by! I'll definitely be on the lookout for Kelly Erez. Nothing quite like real songstresses to help wash away Lady GaGa and her OTT antics!