Friday 19 March 2010

Hot Can: Self Heating Hot Chocolate!

This looks really fun I thought when I first saw the product a week ago, but circumstances really didnt allow for experimenting. I finally bought it today, at RM6.90 a can, to partner my lunch of crispy BBQ Chicken wrap.
Looks innocent enough I guess.

I soon did what the instructions said I should do and giddily awaited the end result while I nibbled on my lunch.
I got instantaneous results! The can started to immediately heat up, no doubt thanks to the exothermic chemical reaction of the heating element. Steam vapours were venting out of the can bottom! Woohoo!
 
After a 3 minute wait, I opened the can and then poured into mug to give it a try. The can's lid attachment thingy (I imagine it was designed so that one could sip the hot beverage without scalding one's lips on the now seriously hot can) really isn't properly designed for good pouring. My hot chocolate was like sloshing everywhere because of the tiny opening.
And now the Hot Chocolate, yes, hot it was, but there was something wrong when strong acid aromas permeated the air. Chocolate should smell dark, deep, mysterious and with a slightly bitter alkaline undertones, hallmarks of good quality chocolate. The taste test was altogether a disaster. Now close your eyes, imagine drinking sour milk with really really bad, cheap chocolate powder diluted in it. Uh huh, it was exactly that cringe worthy! Hell, even those automatic vending machine hot chocolate drinks taste better than this poor excuse of a drink (proudly made in Malaysia, nothing less!)

Hot Can? More like Hot Can-NOT! Try this at your peril.

11 comments:

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Uncle Razee,
And you're giving it publicity! hahahaha....come visit us and we'll take you out to a real chocoholic treat. purrr....meow!

Razee Salleh said...

Heya Ange,

I did, didn't I. But it was that bad I had to rant!

Fauziah Ismail said...

G,
The packaging looks good, though.

Mohd Nadzrin Wahab said...

Salam Gee,

A can that gets hot on its own via chemical reaction? That sounds like a potential terrorist modifiable bomb to me.

Salam persilatan,

Razee Salleh said...

Hiya Nadz, it sure does! Although I hardly think one could get a lot of bang out of some calcium chloride.

Abdullah Mohd Nawi said...

A pity too.. It looked like it had so much promise..

Mohd Nadzrin Wahab said...

Salam Gee,

If I drop it into my bathtub, will it boil my bath for me?

Salam persilatan,

Razee Salleh said...

Hi Nadz,

Buat mambazir jer. Rebus air lagi murah. Malas sangat guna immersion heater, lagi puas hati, cuma jangan terlupa. Otherwise you might end up boiling your bath water away, or owrse getting electrocuted. BZzzzzap!

Yuzaina said...

For a taste like crap in a can, RM6.90 is definitely bloodsucking expensive..! Thanks to your post, I will definitely NOT try to get one.

Chenoan said...

I drank one today for the first time. Though not exactly restaurant quality, it tasted as decent as any packaged DIY hot chocolate around. I probably won't buy it again, but that's probably more that I'm not that crazy about hot chocolate and I've already experienced the cool self-heating shenanigans of the can.

Food Manager Certification Texas said...

Well I haven't seen something like it here. Although thanks to your post I wont even have to try it.