Friday 9 January 2015

Langkawi Chronicles: Playing Guardian

One of my associates fell ill last week. As it were, I was on the way to pick up another from the Langkawi airport to be brought to the resort, when i first noticed that something was amiss.

He didn't stand or walk as straight as he normally does and it seemed forced and laboured when he walked, as if he was suppressing some discomfort. When I asked him about it, he downplayed it as merely a stomach bug he has been nursing from the day before. He did already visit a clinic earlier on his way to work where he was given some meds.

I shrugged it off as maybe it was one of those 'angin' (gas) that we Asians are often afflicted with.

It was during dinner with him that it suddenly dawned on me that it could be something far more serious. Asked him to perform some simple stretches and for each one I noted that if he were to bend down, flex sideways or stretch backwards, he would wince in pain. When about where specifically the pain was emanating from he pointed around his belly, towards the right of his belly button. Fearing it could be Appendicitis (I am no doctor, for sure, but rather err on the side of caution), I brought him to the Langkawi Hospital where he underwent a series of tests.

2 plus hours later, he was admitted as a patient with the suspicion of suffering from an inflamed Appendix. His health did not show any major decline, apart from the occasional stab of ouch. Bought him food and stuff for his stay. And he was visited by nearly the whole resort team bringing him much cheer (but reduced rest , :p) who babied him with more snacks. Dropped by as often as I could with hot food (even the best Hospital food, is still Hospital food right?).

True enough, after a full 2 days of observation, his pain and discomfort did not lessen, despite the doses of painkillers and antibiotics he was plied. He underwent surgery (keyhole method) to treat the Appendicitis. Him being alone here in Langkawi with no next of kin and family, I felt was my duty to keep him company and attended.

Now he has been discharged from the Hospital to return home to recuperate and relax.

I am feeling this odd sense of deprivation now, (separation angst? hahaha!) but am glad that he is on the mend.


No comments: