Friday 28 February 2014

The ties that bind!

I recently acquired a new staff to replace another that was about to leave. Did the screening as per usual and ending with an interview session. The kid seemed like a suitable candidate. Correct previous work experience too. The first few days he was sufficiently capable. Then one day he did not turn up for work. When I contacted him, he said he was unwell and on medical leave. He did seem under the weather the few preceding days.

The next day he came back to work and was again in the swing of things, as we were neck deep with a group based handling. When I asked him about his Medical leave documentations, he stated he did not have one. Apparent he was so ill he could not go to the clinic (then why did you tell me you were on MC?). Disciplined him accordingly and let him continue his work.

Then a few days later, he was absent again, the next day as well. On the third day of absence, I contacted him to ask him if he was interested in continuing his employment.  Alas, my calls went unanswered.  Wrote him off as absent without leave and prepared a motion for dismissal due to absence for 3 days.  I also left him voicemails and SMS so that he could respond in case there were mitigating circumstances.

I also contacted his next of kin but they too did not answer my calls or respond to my voicemail/sms. Submitted the motion for dismissal back to HQ and he was let go. On the 4th day of absence, suddenly at 7.30pm, during Maghrib prayer time, his father contacted me appealing for his son’s continued employment with us.

Somehow, the kid and his family got into a tiff and he had not returned home for 2 days. Dad also asked me to, in his own words, to ‘Tarbiah’ the kid when he returns to work, which I understood as give a dressing down on work ethics. He went further to state that the Kid’s brother had been recently thrown out of their home due to ‘Ketegaq’. His voice suggested to me that he seemed proud of doing so, as if it made him an accomplished disciplinarian. He did not know however that I have already filed for his other son’s dismissal.

Reading between the lines, I made the assumption that this staff of mine may have a hard time at home with a peculiar disciplinarian. I texted the kid to come in and present his case to me and we will see how to proceed from there and to collect his pay due.

The kid dropped by 3 days later and after careful questioning (I have my methods); I came to know that his dad had already kicked him out the first day of the tiff. He had gone out with a few friends and slept at their place, waking up really late for work. He had rushed home to get cleaned up and rush to work. In his haste he had been questioned by his mom and dad and some regretful reactions occurred. Being young and hot-headed, he lashed out and unfortunately, so did his dad, throwing him out.

Despite my mind screaming out not to care, my heart pitied that this kid is like a lost lamb.

I probably should not, but I want to give the kid another chance so that by acquiring a job with us, he can prove to his family that he wants to change for the better.

I have a bitter taste in my mouth, as what kind of father would kick out a 19 year old onto the streets like that, along with his 22 year old brother before him. Both kids have not returned home since. What sin would cause a father and mother to do such a drastic move like this?

What happens if your kids fall into even worse kinds of people and start abusing drugs? Or start committing crimes due to hardship? Or they fall ill or get involved in horrible traffic accident? What would your tears mean by then Dad, Mom? There is a host of possible bad things that can happen to young people of there without supervision, care and love. Sure, stay positive and hope no bad thing will occur. I would rather be prepared and be sure.

And the Darwin award goes to......

I am sure there are many more layers to this story than was implied. I still would err on the side of caution.

So, to parents, if you are not ready to become real parents, stop doing the horizontal tango and burdening yourselves with the responsibility and honour of raising a child. The world will be a better place without you breeding and transferring your pathetic notion of a parent’s infallibility to your progeny.

Don’t hide behind the religious duty of procreating and cultivating humanity when you can’t even understand the flawed, yet fundamentally innocent mind of a child.

Buat malu Mak Bapak saja nanti!


I pray to God I don’t do this to my own kids in the future.

No comments: